Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The juggling act

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhVSteBU8hHb8QSN5gHJygMexQAW75VJzLtaeQxnkZOmAayRbxDuPDBlkgy9lLUQBKO6_YEiVhj5aBtUOo_giYMib82oxilN6wejRoHNsBGspTBYRUQiU_zN3LeAHV7oBK29oZo1UNXiEGv/s400/journalism_cartoon.jpg

How funny, the above cartoon depicts the level of multi tasking required by modern journalists but it also depicts exactly how I feel coming into the final weeks of my degree!

Time in class this week was used to work on and brainstorm our ideas for our major projects. I have decided, surprise surprise, to go with an audio piece. I am planning to interview Verity Webb, former editor of ABC radio in Sydney and Melanie James- our very own PR expert along with a journalism student being challenged by the ideas I will present.

The idea so far is to do a radio feature piece on the coexistence of Journalists and PR in modern news rooms. I will first gain the Journalist's perspective, followed by the PR - questions for this interview will be shaped by the comments of the journalist- then how our future news producers see the modern journalistic world. I will also include some news music to liven the piece up.

So far the piece hasn't taken off yet. I plan to conduct my interviews next week and edit it by week 12. With two 3000 word essays, a 1000 word media audit, ten minute interview and 2500 word internship report also due I'd prefer to get it out of the way! A such is the life of a modern journalist... student.

No comments:

Post a Comment